1.22.2014

Pistachio Pesto (Over Chicken)

Please tell me I'm not the only person out there that is ADDICTED to nuts!!? I am crazy for any type of nut, but I must admit, pistachios are one of my favorites (along with cashews and macadamias). This is a great pesto with a little twist that can be used to dress up any type of protein: chicken, fish, even tofu! It adds a healthy dose of fats and the flavor is so bold you only need a small amount. Left overs store great in the freezer!

Ingredients: 

  • 1 cup shelled pistachios
  • 10 large basil leaves
  • 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1/3 cup finely grated pecorino romano cheese
  • 1/3-1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

 Add all of the ingredients in a food processor except for the oil and turn it on. Slowly stream the oil into the processor as it is blending and stop when you are happy with the consistency. I like my pestos a little chunkier so I add less oil and end up with a are lower calorie pesto. In the picture below I used 1/3 C oil.


 Tonight I used the pesto over chicken (I roasted the chicken breast by itself until 60% done and added the pesto for the last 10 minutes. I served it with pasta and it was a hit!! It would also be great on a flat bread pizza or as a condiment in a wrap or sandwich. You can use it for a dip for pita or veggies (especially if you add it to greek yogurt or lite sour cream). You could even take a TBSP and add it to your favorite veggie soup for a fresh new flavor! Hope you enjoy this as much as we did! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment