1.29.2014

Clean Granola Bars

My son is a granola bar fanatic! And I can't lie, I love the convenience of handing over a bar of prepackaged food that he is guaranteed to eat! But most of the granola bars in grocery stores have preservatives, lots of sugar, processed junk and chemicals that I don't want my kiddo eating. I've attempted making granola bars at home before and I haven't had much luck finding a bar that is low enough in sugar that I'm ok giving them to the little guy, but that doesn't resemble cardboard! I finally found a good one so I thought I'd share it! This recipe was originally from www.allrecipes.com but I've made a few changes to create a healthier bar.


Ingredients:

  • 2 C old fashioned oats
  • 1/3 C brown sugar
  • 1/4 C wheat germ
  • 1/4 C ground flax seed
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 C whole wheat flour (or do half wheat, half oat/quinoa/etc...)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 C honey
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 C applesauce
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 C raisins or mini chocolate chips
  • 1/2 chopped nuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir all ingredients together until well mixed in a bowl. Press batter into a greased 9x13 pan, leaving about 1 1/2" of space at one end (this allows them to stay thick enough to keep from drying out). Bake for 15-18 minutes, until edges are beginning to brown. Don't over cook! The middle might even look uncooked, but it will ensure the bars stay moist! Cut into bars while still a little warm. Makes 14-16 bars. Preschooler approved! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment