1.07.2014

Crock Pot Chili

It's 5 degrees today, with a windchill of -20!!! It honestly looks like the Tundra out there! In all my years in Western New York, I can't remember it being quite this frigid. Even my dog refuses to go outside to do her business. Can't blame her!!

Even though it's like the Arctic outside, there is something very comforting and peaceful here at home. The doors are tightly shut, the heat is up high, and with a driving ban in effect for the county, there isn't any pressure to run errands. There is something about being forced to slow down and stay inside that makes you reflect on all the comforts you have right in your own home. Comfy clothes, warm blankets, heat, food in the fridge and most importantly, family. It is actually a welcome day of rest and coziness. :)

We were lucky to know the bad weather was coming so when I planned out my meals for the week I purposely put crock pot chili on the menu for today. I thought the warm smell would fill the house and make it feel even cozier, and sure enough, it did!

When it comes to chili, I make mine meat-free by habit, but ground turkey, beef or chicken can definitely be substituted for my Boca crumbles. I happen to love beans so I always include them, but you could substitute frozen corn or veggies for the beans without any problem!

Ingredients:

  • 1 package Boca crumbles (or any ground beef substitute)
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 large onion, chopped
  • 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
  • 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies, I went for the mild since my son will be eating this too
  • 2 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2-1 c water, depending on how thick you want the chili



In about 1-2 tbsp of water, sauté the peppers and onions over medium heat to soften. Add all ingredients in the crock pot and cook on low 4-5 hours. You can crank it to high and cook it for closer to 3 hours if you are like me and sometimes forget about dinner until closer towards the evening. This is delicious topped with a dollop of greek yogurt sprinkled with a little 2% cheddar cheese.  Its awesome eaten straight out of the bowl, over baked tortilla chips, wrapped in a burrito, or even over pasta for chili-mac. Left overs store great in the freezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment