1.27.2014

Quinoa Kale Cakes

I have been eyeing this recipe on my Pinterest "Eat" board for the longest time! I was going to make tilapia burgers tonight but forgot to take the fish out of the freezer, and I just HAPPENED to go shopping today and had all the ingredients for these little gems, so I decided fate had won and it was time to give them a whirl!
Ingredients (easily doubled for a family, but made as below this yields about 8 palm sized patties):

  • 1 1/2 C cooked quinoa
  • large handful of baby kale or kale chopped up
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 C grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 TBSP dried parsley (or 1/8 C of the real stuff if you have it around!)
  • zest and juice of half a lemon
  • 3 green onions or 1/2 a small white onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (I'm sure regular bread crumbs would work okay too, but panko give the patties a lighter consistency.)
Directions:
Stir the eggs, cheese, cumin, salt, parsley, lemon juice and zest, onions and garlic in a bowl until well mixed.

Next, fold the panko into the egg mixture.


While the quinoa is still warm from cooking (or you could even microwave left over quinoa until its nice and hot), stir in the kale to wilt.



Then fold the quinoa/kale mixture into the panko/egg mixture. Heat a little oil on a frying pan over medium high heat. Form patties with the mixture and place on the warm pan. Cook on each side until brown, roughly 5 minutes.

I served my cakes over a kale salad with cherry tomatoes, avocado slices and a little Italian dressing. Bryce (my 3 year old) ate his plain and loved them! 

The original recipe was found at www.makingitwithdanielle.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment