5.28.2014

Greek Chopped Salad

I struggle with lunch each and every day. It's like I forget that I have to eat that meal so at 2pm when I'm starving I scavenge for some high carb delight to keep me from passing out. Terrible! So I'm on the hunt for something healthy and veggie heavy that I can keep prepared in the fridge. I stumbled upon this gorgeous salad so I am making it tonight to have in the fridge for the next two days! This recipe is from A Farmgirl's Dabbles.


Ingredients:

For the salad:
  • 3 c. halved cherry or grape tomatoes (quarter the tomatoes if they are larger)
  • 2 large English cucumbers or 8 smaller Persian cucumbers, chopped
  • 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 c. diced red onion
  • 1 c. pitted and roughly chopped Kalamata olives
  • 1/2 c. chopped fresh mint
  • 1/3 c. chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/3 c. chopped fresh oregano
  • 1 8-oz. block of feta, diced (or use crumbled feta)
For the salad dressing:
  • 1/2 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice + zest of 1 lemon
  • 1/4 c. white balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, plus additional sprinkled over the top before serving
  • 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus additional sprinkled over the top before serving
This is best when prepared ahead of time. Toss together all of the salad ingredients except for the feta.  Mix up the salad dressing and pour about 2/3 over the salad. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours, tossing every hour to let the flavors meld. Before serving, add the feta and remaining dressing and gently fold. Follow up with a sprinkle of salt and pepper!

No comments:

Post a Comment