5.29.2014

Homemade Clean Mayo

I am a mayo fanatic. I could eat the stuff with a spoon! But since eating clean I have eliminated it from my diet because the store bought mayo has some questionable ingredients, and truthfully, it took a little piece of my soul along with it. Then I stumbled upon this recipe and realized I could still have my mayo and eat it too!! Ahhh, its the little things in life!! (Just make sure its in moderation and count it towards your macros as a fat!) This recipe is by the Healthy Foodie.

Ingredients:
  1. One egg, either large or extra large. Use two eggs if you only have medium on hand.
  2. One cup Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil (use good quality, EXTRA LIGHT tasting!)
  3. The juice of half a lemon or lime (about 2-3 teaspoons)
  4. A generous pinch of salt
In a tall glass jar, wide enough to use an immersion blender in, crack the egg and pour in the olive oil and add the lemon juice and salt. Let the egg settle to the bottom of the jar, under the oil. Now if you want to add anything to the mayo, such as garlic, horseradish, mustard, etc, do so now. Next, place the blender at the bottom of the jar, turn it on and let it sit at the bottom for a good 20 seconds. The mayo will begin to form before your eyes! After about 20 seconds, slowly raise the blender as it continues to blend all the way to the top, keeping it in the mayo so you don't get sprayed. Move the blender around to make sure you have all the oil mixed in well, and then you're done! Homemade, healthy mayo!

No comments:

Post a Comment