12.18.2013

Pumpkin Protein Bars

These are my favorite homemade protein bars yet! They turned out fluffy, just sweet enough, and the BEST part....my three year old loved them!! I found the original recipe at melaniemitro.com, but I made a few changes based on what I had on hand.



Mix the following in a bowl:

  • ½ C. Succinate (any natural sugar will do, but Succinate can be found in the natural foods section of most grocery stores)
  • 1/4 C. applesauce
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
  • ½ tsp. ground clove
(I didn't have cloves or ginger on hand so I used 1 tsp cinnamon and 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice in place of the spices above and it turned out great)
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 4 large egg whites
  • 1 - 15 oz. can of raw pumpkin
  • 2 C. oat or whole wheat flour
  • 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
  • ½ cup almond milk
  • ½ C. chopped walnuts (optional)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x13 pan with oil. Pour mixture into greased pan and bar for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean. If you'd like to add chocolate chips, it would probably be delicious! To keep it lower calorie, I would sprinkle on a handful of mini chips just before baking. Makes 24 squares. Perfect for an afternoon snack with coffee. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment